Heritage

The Prelude to a Discovery

Prior to World War I, fabrication of containers to transport fuel in India was entirely dependent on tinplate imported from England. The War choked supplies of all imported goods, including tinplate, as German submarines practically cutoff all sea trade between England and India.

Steel manufacturing had by then commenced in India making it possible to indigenise the manufacture of the tinplate. Shaw Wallace & Company and Tata Iron & Steel Company Ltd. came together to invest in The Tinplate Company of India Limited (TCIL) in 1920, as a private limited company with its registered office in Kolkata. The proposed site for the Tinplate Works, designed to produce 28,000 tonnes of tinplate, was Golmuri village, three miles from the Tata Iron & Steel Works at Jamshedpur, the principal source for input material.

Soon after operations began, TCIL was besieged by the great economic depression, war and adversities. Even as challenges and hardships continued to relentlessly assail it, TCIL’s spirit remained indomitable. For several decades thereafter TCIL single-handedly represented the Indian tinplate industry. In 1991, soon after economic liberalization, TCIL announced an ambitious growth plan to make the Company a force to reckon within Asia. Today it is the largest indigenous producer of tin coated and tin free steel sheets in India, with its products well accepted in the markets of SE Asia, Middle East and select regions of Europe.

The Timeline

1920

The Company was incorporated in Kolkata on 20th January 1920. American firm, Perin & Marshall were appointed Consulting Engineers for the Company. Contracts were entered into in America and England for the supply of structural steel for the Mill building and part of the machinery. A suitable site was chosen at Golmuri near The Tata Iron and Steel Works, Jamshedpur.

1920

The foundation of the work site at Golmuri was laid. Temporary office Stores and other necessary buildings were put up and a temporary broad gauge construction track was partly laid.

1921

The building foundation was completed. Steel for the building structure arrived by November following which construction began. Foundations for other important machinery were also completed.

1922

The year marked the start of operations at the Hot Dip Plant. The first of six Hot Mills at Jamshedpur successfully went into operation on December 18.

1923

The first finished tinplates rolled out, and the Company’s product made an appearance in the market in the form of kerosene tins on April 28.

1935

Provision for the erection of 100 additional Indian quarters was sanctioned for employees.

1942

A White Annealing Furnace was set up, which proved to be of great value.

1963

Production touched 82,778 tonnes for a plant planned for 28,000 tonnes, a remarkable achievement.

1970 - 1980

This period is marked by the intense hardships faced by the Company. Power, coal and other raw material shortages, labour unrest and a recession in the tinplate market saw production plummet to an all-time low of 40,237 tonnes.

TCIL began the journey back from the brink. It switched to electrolytic tinning and chromium-coated steel sheets. Its dual ETP & TFS line was set up in January 4, 1979 with imported raw material (Tin Mill Black Plate – TMBP Coils) until 1992.

1992 - 1994

The Cold Rolling mill Complex (CRM-1) was setup as a part of backward integration to produce TMBP coils as a raw material for tinning line which replaced the uncertainty associated with imported coils in terms of price and availability.

2005 - 2006

As a part of forward integration & a value added service, the Printing & Coating lines were setup with the state of art facility.

2006 - 2008

To meet market requirement and doubling up of capacity the 2nd Tinning Line (ETL-2) was set up.

2009 - 2012

Set up of CRM-2 facility to cater requirement of TMBP coils as raw material for ETL-2.

2013 - 2017

Focus was on consolidating the production towards the enhanced capacity utilization and improving health of our existing Mills.