New Page 3

Search

Company History

The company was incorporated in 1920 and the site chosen was Golmuri, Jamshedpur. The first steel plate of Tinplate gauge was rolled on 18th Dec 1922 at the Hot Dip Plant (HDP) producing Hot Dip Tinplate, from tin bars supplied by Tata Steel and this continued till 1979 albeit with capacity enhancements. For 50 years, TCIL thus almost single-handedly built up the Indian Tinplate Industry.

To keep pace with technological developments, TCIL was the first to set up a combination line capable of producing both Electrolytic Tinplate (ETP) and Tin Free Steel (TFS). This plant, the first of its kind in India, was commissioned in 1978 and commenced production in January 1979. In 1982, Tata Steel bought the shareholding of Burmah Oil, the then major shareholder and took over the management of the company.

First hot-rolled tin sheet- 1922

 

Annealing Bay - 1972

Top

In 1991-92, TCIL undertook backward integration to setup a Cold Rolling Mill (CRM) for production of TMBP Coils, based on Hot Rolled Coil supplies from Tata Steel, which was also setting up its Hot Strip Mill (HSM) at the same time. The CRM was thus a strategic fit for TCIL with Tata Steel. The Cold Rolling Mill (CRM) was commissioned in 1996-97 but with heavy time and cost over-runs, the company started incurring severe losses. A turnaround strategy was developed focusing on:

Operational Improvements
Financial Restructuring
Hot Dip Plant(HDP) phase out and downsizing

Since April 1998, TCIL operates under a conversion arrangement with Tata Steel for its business and with its continuing yearn for quality and customer service, looks forward to the future with confidence.

 

Top


















 

New Page 7

Media | Achievements | Events | For our Suppliers |Customers' Section | Contact us | Sitemap | Home